Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Virrvarr

Sigvard Bernadotte created the pattern Virrvarr in 1958 for a laminate board, Virrvarr means somthing like clutter or disorder. It rapidly became very popular in Swedish homes during the 60'ies, often seen on table tops, cutting boards and windowsills. It was produced until 1991 but is yet again in production.
It's funny how things get a revival when it's taken off production, so much that the manufacturer start producing it again.

I have always loved the pattern and remember it well from my childhood. I was so happy when I found it at our kitchen supplier when we where to chose the kitchen for our house! We will use it on the kitchen worktops in dark grey (right in the picture)!









Picture above from Lamiroc who produces laminate boards.

Virrvarr is used on the table top of this table called Fanett by Ilmari Tapiovaara, which is a great example on how the pattern was used in the 60'ies.
This set was sold on Bukowskis market at a very affordable price.

























5 comments :

  1. this is perfection.

    great to hear you chose it for your kitchen worktops - so fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pattern too. I found it as a worktop from Kvik- kitchen and I want that pattern or grey stone for our kitchen. I´m not sure yet:) Nice blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, this pattern brought back sweet memories of my grandmothers kitchen table... wonder what happend to it, almosut afraid to think about it.
    Really like your light, kind of airy, blog!
    Wishing you a beautiful September!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, the pattern is absolutely wonderful! thank you so much for posting this, it brightened my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vi har också mörkgrå virrvarr på våra köksbänkar, och jag köpte nyligen ett bord med ljusgrått virrvarr på blocket :-)

    ReplyDelete