Friday, September 17, 2010

Judy Kaufmann

I've had the great honour to get in contact with a very interesting and inspiring girl from Barcelona.  

"I never was interested in economics or law, not even in art, but somewhere amongst my hundreds of notebooks, I began to draw stories of my life, that have transformed me into the girl that carries a ball-point pen in her knapsack", Judy states on her Etsy. 

Following is my interview with her! 





< Trip, by Judy Kaufmann
 
                          Red Print and World Print, illustrations by Judy available on Etsy.

Name, age, hometown:
My name is Judy Kaufmann, I'm 30 years old, I was born in Santiago de Chile and I live in Barcelona since 2004.   

Tell me three interesting facts about yourself!
1. I'm an identical twin and a few time ago I dedicate a print to my sister.
2. My sister once met the twin sister of a friend. They talk a bit but they were confusing, none had ever seen each other. I was the friend of his sister.
3. Today I made a recompilation of twins in Etsy that I called "The twins Factory"


What inspires you? (predictable and boring question, I know, but I’m curious to hear the answer :) )

As I always say, I get the inspiration from what I don't understand, what I don't know, what I don't know how to do, what I am not. From the interest that I feel about all things that are outside of my life. That's where my imagination picks the inspiration. On the other hand, I have a bizarre and explosive inspiration when I go to museums and galleries and I get involved with different colors and formats, whether I like or not what I'm seeing.

 < Holidays, available on Etsy.
                  Wallpaper by Judy for Trestintas. I love it! Would look amazing in husbands workspace.. 

How did you find your specific style?
Working hard! For sure!! and I feel I still have to work more to polish the style ...

What made you start painting? I mean what was it that lead you there and not to any other art form?
I used to work for a newspaper and I was a good friend of the illustrator. I think that after see his drawings and the way he was working, I make sure that I could draw not only as a hobby. The important thing was to turn from girl that was "all day drawing" to the professional illustrator that I feel now.

Are you a periodical when it comes to creativity, like myself, or do you always have something waiting to be created?
For sure I have always something waiting to be created. I'm pretty messy in terms of creation. For example I don't have any technic, always is different. This is also the only thing that makes good ideas come up.


                                                                            Illustrations for Poolga

Which of your work are you most proud of?
I really like the last wallpaper collection that I made for Trestintas,
and I'm working now in a new collection for my Etsy Gallery that start with this cute bear.

Are you a quickie or do you sit for long hours editing small details until you’re satisfied with your work?
If you see my work is impossible to do it quickly. It takes me hours to make every character but doesn't mean that I work slow. I work quickly for many slow processes.

What would be a dream job/commission for you?
To work more globally still being freelance.


Thank you for your time Judy! All the best!

You can find Judy's work for sale here or chek out her website for portfolio and contact.


Verde, Print by Judy Kaufmann     
...                      

1 comment :

  1. her work looks great - particularly love the two-colour prints!

    ReplyDelete